Frequently Asked Questions
about AWAI Copywriting Training Programs and Other Careers in Writing
- Who is AWAI (American Writers & Artists Institute)?
- Are you registered with the Better Business Bureau?
- How do I become an AWAI member, and why should I?
- I’m not sure where to start my new copywriting career, can you help direct me?
- Will I be able to talk to someone if I have any questions later on?
- Does AWAI help me find high-paying freelance writer jobs and great clients?
- If my copywriting or business-building program has future updates, will I need to pay extra to get them?
- How do I know AWAI isn’t a scam?
- How long does it take to start making money with my copywriting skills?
- Is it really possible to earn a good living as a writer?
- Why should I become a copywriter?
- Does it matter if I don’t have a writing background?
- Do I need any specific computer software to access AWAI programs?
- Other questions? We’re here to help
Who is AWAI (American Writers & Artists Institute)?
As the world’s leading publisher of direct-response copywriting, and graphic design home-study programs, we help people develop skills to acquire financial security, independence and freedom.
AWAI prides itself on publishing programs that equip our members with the tools necessary to succeed in the best careers in writing, and make the connections needed to land clients and start earning money. We opened our doors in 1997. Learn more here.
Are you registered with the Better Business Bureau?
Yes we are, and we are very proud of the A+ rating we have. You can take a look at our profile on the BBB website.
How do I become an AWAI member, and why should I?
Becoming a member is easy, just browse our copywriting training and business-building product catalog and select the program that is right for you. We recommend you start with the Accelerated Program for Seven-Figure Copywriting since it will give you the foundation for writing persuasively and show you how to structure a sales letter. Plus, you can write up to five sales letters during the program that you can show as samples of your work once you’re done.
The “why” is even easier! AWAI is the leader when it comes to copywriting training. We’ve been helping folks learn to write copy for the past 20 years. Our track record speaks for itself.
Here are just a few of the benefits of being an AWAI member:
- Learn at your own pace. Once an AWAI member, you gain access to myAWAI – a members-only website that gives you online, 24/7 access to the programs that will get you living The Writer’s Life. Are you working a full-time job and don’t have much time? No problem. Just a few minutes each day, and before you know it, you’ll be on your way. Got plenty of time? Excellent. You could be up and running in a few weeks. It’s up to you. Go as fast or as slow as you want. It doesn’t matter if it’s 2AM or 10PM – you’ll have access to your training materials anywhere, anytime.
- Got questions? We’ve got answers! Contact us via phone, email or live chat anytime you have questions, concerns or you just want to let us know how you’re doing!
- Become part of the family. Once an AWAI member, you’ll also get special access to AWAI’s members-only Copywriting Insiders community. This forum let’s you connect with other members whenever you’d like. You can get feedback on ideas, share your success stories, ask questions, give help, you name it – the forum is where you can get to know other like-minded folks.
- Daily motivation and insights. Every day, you’ll receive The Writer’s Life – our special e-letter containing motivational articles, success stories from our members, tips and insights on writing and succeeding, and a WHOLE lot more.
Access to clients who have freelance copywriter jobs – NOW! As an AWAI member, you’ll also get the opportunity to land your first paid assignment right away. Our job board, WritersWanted.com is your link to marketers looking to hire writers, designers and researchers both on a project and full-time basis.
While AWAI isn't an agency, we make it a priority not only to prepare you for real-world work, but to help you get paying jobs. We created WritersWanted.com to facilitate that process, to give you a way to connect directly with the many marketers eager to hire – and pay – you.
I’m not sure where to start my new copywriting career, can you help direct me?
We leave no detail open to question. But more importantly, we are with you from beginning to success, every step of the way … with our active online community, a Jobs Board where companies advertise for writers, and support, support, support. Further, we lay out paths for you to choose from, each well-traveled by people just like you, to success with The Writer’s Life. There are maps, guideposts, detailed instructions. If you can follow a simple recipe in the kitchen or be led to an unfamiliar destination by the GPS in your car, you can certainly follow our guidance!
Take a moment and follow these 6 simple steps to make a living as a writer as quickly as possible.
Will I be able to talk to someone if I have any questions later on?
You bet. We have a very caring and knowledgeable Member Services team who are available to help you with any of your questions. Contact us via phone, email or live chat!
Does AWAI help me find high-paying freelance writer jobs and great clients?
We do everything possible to help you succeed! Although we’re not a placement agency we do provide resources to help you find clients.
Once a member, you’ll receive access to AWAI’s job board – WritersWanted.com. There you’ll find marketers looking to hire on a project and full-time basis right away. Make sure you log in regularly, since it’s always being updated.
At our annual bootcamp, we host a job fair where you can meet face-to-face with dozens of companies looking for writers.
AWAI is always searching for new ways to make it easier for you to find clients, and we’re constantly sharing ideas and strategies that have worked for your fellow members. We know how important this is and it’s a priority for us to expose you to as many roads that lead to clients as we can.
To learn more, check out our many AWAI Resources.
If my copywriting or business-building program has future updates, will I need to pay extra to get them?
The world of copywriting is ever-changing. And as new technologies and mediums are developed and created, the demands for copy change, too. So we’re continually updating our programs.
Our programs are “living products,” in that they grow and evolve at the same pace that technologies, markets and techniques do. So you’re never getting outdated information. With AWAI’s programs, you’ll always have the most cutting-edge information available right at your fingertips.
Just login to your myAWAI member area to get instant access to the most up-to-date version of your program.
How do I know AWAI isn’t a scam?
We’ve been in business for over 20 years and are proud of our A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. We wouldn’t be in business for this many years and be respected and recommended by so many of our industry’s top experts if that were the case.
We offer an unconditional, money-back guarantee on all our programs … eliminating any risk for you. Further proof we stand behind everything we offer.
So, no … we aren’t a scam.
AWAI is built on a big promise … that we can teach you a new skill that can lead to increased income … independence from the 9-to-5 grind … and the freedom to live and work where you choose.
All of us at AWAI stand behind that promise. In fact, we measure our success by the people we help reinvent their lives.
You don’t have to take our word for it. We’ve put together a complete answer to the question, “is AWAI a scam?” Hear from some of the top experts in the industry and our own satisfied customers, what they had to say about AWAI.
How long does it take to start making money with my copywriting skills?
With our very-much-proven approach, you can be earning your first paychecks from freelance writing assignments in as little as 12 weeks.
Sure, it takes some courage and even daring to “dream the dream” to start with. (Although, of course, your full satisfaction is guaranteed by refund should you decide this isn’t for you). It takes some courage to move forward, because you may have been disappointed before with some course or opportunity; this “writing for money world” is foreign and unfamiliar to you; and, frankly, you may fear failure. In response, I can promise you, there is no more nurturing environment for someone stepping into a new realm of opportunity than American Writers & Artists. Everyone here has been right where you are, and understands exactly what it takes – in terms of practical skills and action steps, and emotionally – to do this.
If you complete the Accelerated Program for Seven-Figure Copywriting, follow our instructions and guidance, and apply for writing assignments through our exclusive Jobs Board and elsewhere as we instruct, you can experience confidence-inspiring success in very short order … then build on that success going forward.
Is it really possible to earn a living as a writer?
Maybe you’ve often thought about this.
Maybe the thought has never occurred to you.
Regardless … Thousands to whom this was first a strange idea AND thousands who held this dream in the back of their mind, but who doubted their abilities or lacked a clear idea of how to do it now happily live The Writer’s Life thanks to American Writers & Artists’ guaranteed Program … that guides people in identifying their best writing talents and developing their skills, and in securing good-paying assignments and a steady stream of work from business, corporate, association and non-profit clients (national and local) who need all sorts of writing. Maybe you’d like to explore your potential as a freelance writer, entirely free of risk?
You can be well paid to write, without struggling for acceptance from agents and publishers, long ‘starving artist’ wait, rejection upon rejection. You can be a successful writer now.
Anyone with an interest in and a knack for writing can QUICKLY grasp the basics of this kind of writing, relying on American Writers & Artists’ “recipes” and templates … and get paid to write!
Here, the doors are wide open to new writers. (Unlike the traditional publishing world, of book and magazine publishers, where the doors are firmly closed, and guarded by gatekeepers.)
Neither resume nor experience matters, in getting started. Clients care less about your credentials or experience than the simple matter of: can you deliver? So, there’s no reason to feel as if you’re “not ready for prime time” or “not qualified.” The American Writers & Artists Accelerated Program for Seven-Figure Copywriting – completed in as little time as 12 weeks – makes you qualified for paying writing assignments.
Why should I become a copywriter?
This is a liberating way to make a living – or supplement your regular income – or transition from your present job to a new career or early, financially secure semi-retirement.
- Your time is your own. No time clock, no set hours.
- Your office can be anywhere you like – the porch of a beach-house or mountain cabin, in your RV, even the corner table at your favorite Starbucks.
Your income can be good from the start, and keep getting better. Imagine being paid $250, $500, $750 and more for writing a simple, “friendly” four page letter about a product, service or subject that interests you. That is as real as the ground beneath you.
Imagine earning more part-time in a month or two than your present job pays all year. That, too, is very real, as you’ll soon see. There are other financial benefits and “perks” too. For example, the government rewards you with tax breaks – even government subsidized vacations.
- You’ll be engaged in fun, fascinating, creative activity all about ideas … telling interesting stories … helping businesses communicate and put their ideas across. If you find your present way of “putting food on the table” dull or uninteresting, that can change right now. I’ve never heard a freelance writer complain of being bored!
- You can create real financial security – the only real security, your personal ability to produce ‘work’ that there is always an endless, expanding demand for. Never worry about looming layoffs again. Escape dependence on one employer, diversify your income with a number of clients, own skills in demand by many, everywhere here and abroad. If you have a computer connected to the internet, there are no boundaries and you can write for clients anywhere in the world – although we will reveal good clients to you right where you live too. The demand for what American Writers & Artists members do is global and local, strong in “good” or “bad” times; a reliable profession.
- You’ll be part of an elite, unusual society. Most writers are made not born, yet we are a ‘special breed,’ mysterious to and admired by ‘civilians,’ and embraced by each other. The bond that writers have with each other is like nothing that occurs in any other field. (One of the many benefits of MEMBERSHIP with American Writers & Artists is this unique community … we connect you with other AWAI members and support the on-going community, online, and at conferences.)
- If you choose, you can use the skills you develop to help your favorite causes, charities, even individuals in need, and do good for the world. Non-profit organizations of every size and nature do, in fact, hire and pay freelance writers and copywriters. You can also donate your professional services as “in kind contributions” for tax deductions. Every group from the local animal rescue shelter to Greenpeace needs help raising funds and communicating with donors, and communicating their message to the world at large.
- You will have proven pathways to follow when you begin, with American Writers & Artists as your “mentor.” If living The Writer’s Life appeals to you, there are obviously practical considerations, so please read this entire, long letter patiently and thoroughly. But know that, as you seek this exciting life as your own, we will be by your side every step of the way!
Does it matter if I don’t have a writing background?
It’s important to know that successful American Writers & Artists members have had many different starting points. Unemployed for eight months and terrified. Stuck in depressing, dead-end jobs. In jobs they like, but can’t earn enough money from to meet their needs. 20 years old, 75 years old. Already confident of writing talent – others, doubtful they can write anything worthy of payment. Silver-tongued salesmen, small town school-teachers, shy homemakers suddenly having to re-enter the work world after traumatic divorces. You name a beginning, any beginning, and we can introduce you to an American Writers & Artists member with a similar starting place, now earning excellent income, feeling secure, doing work that is interesting to them, leading a fulfilling life … and thanking the discovery we led them to for it all!
You will instantly be part of and embraced by this entire community, too. You’ll be assisted not just by our faculty but by successful members who generously share their experience, who appreciate having had a helping hand extended to them and now extend theirs in turn. You will be mentored, coached, encouraged and supported day by day, as you first explore, then find your way to The Writer’s Life just right for you.
Read more about the backgrounds of some of our most successful members.
Do I need any specific computer software to access AWAI programs?
No. you do not need specific software programs, just access to the internet and a few helpful FREE downloads so you can access the various types of files.
- You may need Adobe Reader 10 (or better) to view your AWAI program PDFs. If you need Adobe Reader you can get it here – It’s FREE!
You may need the Google Chrome browser as it works best to access our programs, webinars and such. If you need Google Chrome you can get it here – It’s FREE!
Other browsers like Internet Explorer (IE), Microsoft Edge, Firefox, and Safari may also be used, but may not work best for all applications.